- Educate their teams – analytics is complicated, make sure everyone understands the data they are looking at and where it is coming from.
- Be approachable – it’s important to be knowledgeable, but it’s more important to be approachable. Your team needs to be able to ask you questions and get understandable answers.
- Don’t fear the system that is collecting data – with so many software choices and options, it can be overwhelming to learn a new system. You should never fear learning a new web analytics platform, CRM System, Social Media Hub, or Mobile Platform. They all collect various data which is key to your success as an analyst.
- Seek one version of the truth – data can be manipulated in different ways and achieve various results. Good analysts look for causal relationships in data that allows them to have high confidence in the analysis.
- Be curious – listen to your team for key information that is going on in your organization. These can lead to interesting data findings.
- Seek 90/10 – 90% of an analysts time should be analyzing data, 10% should be pulling data. This is a very big goal in the industry.
- Suggest A/B Tests – sites always need improvement. A/B tests are a great way to move the needle in a positive direction. Good analysts should always be on the lookout for something to test and improve.
- Segment – groups of people may behave a certain way with your product, mobile device, or website. Finding these segments and providing them with what they want will create revenue for your organization.
- Document caveats – everything has a condition or something important to keep in mind while interpreting the data.
- Work with raw data – many systems simplify the analysis for your, but that isn’t always enough to obtain statistical significance. Exporting raw data into an SPSS, SAS or R allows you to obtain insights with statistical significance.
10 Things Good Analysts Do
July 29, 2013 by Leave a Comment